Traditionally, offices were a place where people would go from 9-5 and sit at a desk with a computer. Along with the creation of new types of businesses, many entrepreneurs and freelancers are dreaming up new places to complete their work. This means that more people may choose to work from home, opt for a coworking space, or decide to travel for work.
Here’s why a virtual office could be just what you’re looking for.
A virtual office provides businesses with an address for mailing and presentation purposes, without the upkeep of a physical office. Virtual offices are perfect solutions for small businesses or professionals that work from home, particularly businesses that rely on technology but tend to work remotely.
While coworking spaces and private offices offer a physical location to work from, virtual offices are limited to mail services, physical address use, and conference room use (depending on the plan). This allows businesses to save money while creating a professional image.
Virtual Office Advantages and Disadvantages
Here are a few reasons a business may want to invest in a virtual office:
- Receive, send, and scan mail with a physical mailing address 24/7
- Use of a virtual receptionist- a real person to take calls directed to the physical address
- Improve rankings within local search results
- Create a professional impression to your clients
- Reduce privacy and security concerns (instead of using a home address)
- Utilize conference rooms and kitchen spaces for meetings and client visits
- Save on the full expense of a private office or coworking space
There are also a few tradeoffs to keep in mind:
- Limited conference room use each month (other tiers have unlimited scheduling access)
- No access to a private office, office suite, or coworking space
- No access to other coworking hardware and services (High-speed Wi-Fi, photocopying, printing, faxing services)
Virtual Office Examples
You may be wondering, how does a brand actually take advantage of a virtual office?
- Entrepreneurs use mail and conference services while continuing to work in the comfort of their own home office. We understand that it’s important for self-employed workers to keep their costs low. Virtual offices help keep the business legitimate and under budget.
- E-commerce websites. Online stores need to put on a professional face with a legitimate address, but they also don’t need a physical location since much of the work can be done online. They may also need mailboxes for receiving supplies or sending out packages.
- Multi-location businesses. Some businesses want to create the impression of a national presence, without spending the resources to put up offices in each one. For example, a telephone answering business can outsource services or have them all redirect to a single location, but a physical business address may still be necessary to comply with some laws.
- Freelancers. Many freelancers prefer to work from home but run into problems when they need to have a meeting with a client. Instead of touring a messy apartment, virtual offices allow freelancers to host clients in a professional conference environment, and even treat them to snacks, tea and (free!) coffee beverages provided in the kitchen.
- Startups. Some startups want to save on money in the initial phases, while also utilizing business locations for tax purposes, delivery of supplies, and privacy and security (no need to use their home address).
How Much is a Virtual Office?
Virtual offices are more cost-effective than coworking or private office plans, but rates may vary depending on the services needed.
At Novel Coworking, virtual office plans start at $50 per month, which covers the use of a business address and mail receiving. There are also plans for $75 per month (which includes mail scanning and forwarding), and $100 per month (which includes monthly conference room access).
To learn about other plans and services, visit Novel Coworking’s page on Virtual Offices.
Find a Virtual Office Near You
Virtual Offices have become a popular solution to saving money while maintaining a professional brand. Businesses from every industry rely on Virtual Offices to conduct important services while maintaining the comfort and luxury of being able to work remotely.
Are you interested in using a Virtual Office for your own professional needs? Novel Coworking has multiple locations across the United States, offering mail, conference, and address services at competitive rates.
Check out our locations page to see a map of over 20 locations across the country.
To learn more about our shared office spaces, read up on our blog about everything you need to know.