All businesses must be constantly innovating and moving forward, and this applies even more so when it comes to social media companies. Ten years ago MySpace was one of the biggest Internet businesses on the planet, and now barely anyone uses it.
Facebook was the main benefactor, or depending on how you want to argue it; the leading cause of MySpace’s demise. This is why they focus on experimenting with new formats and content types; to keep their brand relevant and engagement on the rise.
The Rise of Facebook Live
One of Facebook’s latest products, Facebook Live, gives anyone the power to stream live video to their followers at any time of the day and night. Note that Facebook is not the first to come up with this idea, Periscope (which is owned by Twitter) has built their entire business model on the live video concept. The reality is that live video is here to stay.
For any business, it is important to go where your audience is, and with Facebook Live, provided you follow some of the tips and ideas we will discuss below, the world truly is your oyster. The biggest single benefit is that it gives you the opportunity to consult with, and more importantly listen to your customers. Read that last sentence one more time, heck, 50 more times.
This is quite possibly the biggest marketing opportunity in social media, every time you go live on air, your audience is notified (provided they have selected the correct settings).
Tips To Grow Your Business On Facebook Live
1. Always provide quality content every time you broadcast
This is crucial. Think of how the soap operas work; they try to end every episode on a cliffhanger, because they know this will have their audience eagerly anticipating the next episode. That is exactly what you want to do with your followers; keep them hungry for more by supplying them with information/content that piques their interest. If you over deliver with value, not only will they come back for more but they will tell their friends and family members, thus growing your audience, and expanding your business.
2. Don’t always try to pitch to your followers
It can be very tempting to try and sell on every occasion you broadcast live, but you need to work much smarter. Think about it from your follower’s point of view; would you be excited to watch a constant sales pitch once a week? Rather than growing your audience, people will stop attending, and you will be broadcasting to nobody, quite the opposite of what you are aiming for.
Perhaps they can’t be at a live event, so build the sense of community online by following what this company did with Facebook Live.
3. Be prepared and professional
This might be slightly controversial and perhaps against the concept of Facebook Live, but always prepare your videos, have a script, good audio, and proper lighting. This might not be impulsive viewing material, but on the other hand, there is little benefit in broadcasting, and then stumbling over your words, or in an area where your audience cannot hear you due to ongoing road works. How you conduct yourself will having a lasting affect in the memories of your viewers.
4. Get on a broadcasting schedule – This is not a hard and fast rule, but it plays into the psyche of your followers. If you can condition them to being used to you broadcasting every Friday at 2 pm, they will start to anticipate and look forward to you appearing. Rather than you trying to broadcast and hope your audience are out there, they will be sitting waiting for you. That’s a huge psychological swing, but again it depends on you constantly over delivering week after week.
5. Give your viewers a look behind the scenes – depending on your business; people love to feel they are getting preferential treatment. It’s the business equivalent to getting backstage passes, so if your business presents opportunities to do this type of thing, use it. This company uses Facebook Live for hotel room tours.
Facebook Live is a new business concept and an excellent opportunity for you to get ahead of your competitors and in front of thousands of people that you can transform into passionate followers. By broadcasting correctly, and following some of the concepts above, the world truly is your oyster.