Many companies are proud to advertise their environmental efforts, but being Eco-friendly is not merely a marketing campaign or checklist to be completed. If you want to fulfill your environmental ambitions, then you need to fully embrace the concept. This means doing your part in being environmentally friendly, and it should start at the very top of the company by using Eco-friendly office materials.
Eco-friendly Office Ideas
1. Cut down on paper waste
The amount of paper offices waste around the world is just staggering. People printing out 100 copies when 60 would suffice, or printing everything on one side of the page. Nearly every modern printer will print on both sides which instantly reduces paper waste by fifty percent. Not only is this advantageous in terms of the environment, but it will also drastically cut your expenditure on paper.
If you are using only one side of the page for whatever reason, after the meeting collect up the paper and cut it into squares, and use the blank side as scrap paper for taking telephone messages or as recycled post it notes. The important thing here is to ensure that no more paper is wasted.
2. Invest in reusable mugs for coffee and other beverages
Every day millions of paper cups are used once for water, tea or coffee and then thrown away. This is costing your company and the environment dearly over the course of a year.
By giving each employee their own reusable drinks bottle for the water dispenser, you can quickly slash the amount of paper cups that are wasted. Furthermore, many hot drink cups are actually very difficult to recycle. By providing people with an environmentally friendly option, you remove thousands of cups from the equation, regardless of the size of your company, and at very little expense. Another option is to use the mugs, which can be found in the kitchen at every Level Office location. These are always free to use, and are washed by Level Office staff!
3. Make use of the office coffee machine
Most often found near the Coworking space is a beautiful, eco-friendly coffee machine. These differ from the current trending office coffee machine (single use/pod-style) which produce plastic waste with every cup. By altering your coffee habits, you will drastically cut the amount of wasted packaging.
By following these simple suggestions, you can make a huge difference to the environment, and it doesn’t need to be expensive, the majority of the options suggested above will not only help the planet, but save your company on office expenses.
Encourage Green Ideas Within The Office
1. Use your computers to their full capacity; this can be done by (for example) have a digital diary rather than a paper one. Record minutes on an iPad, or laptop if possible.
2. If there are no meetings with clients on a certain day relax the dress code. Suits need to be dry cleaned, so by not forcing people to wear a suit daily, you are contributing to fewer chemicals being used.
3. Is it possible to support and encourage remote working? While this might not be feasible for all members of staff, reducing the amount of vehicles being used to bring your team to work daily will significantly reduce their carbon footprint.
4. Ensure that all lights and computers are powered down at the end of the day. Even monitors in standby use a fair amount electricity, so be encouraging good practice daily, turning everything off properly will quickly become a habit.
The environment is essential for our future generations, which is why we have to look after it today. Don’t just talk about being an environmentally friendly company, walk the walk and set a good example, today!